On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 04:53:40PM +0300, Al Boldi wrote:
> Marco van de Voort wrote:
> > Despite all FUD, afaik Delphi is still development system number #2 by
> > sales, after MS' VS.
>
> But that is a far behind #2.  No surprise though; it's pretty dumb to develop
> on Windows with anything other than the insiders tool.

I don't see that. I still think that the competing days are over for
Borland, long term. But I don't agree that there never was a speedspot.

> People always ask me what prgmLang to use, so I ask them which OS, when they
> say Windows, I say go VS.

I ask "what do you want to do?".

> The whole argument of what language to use is rather moot, ever since OOP
> taught us how to encapsulate in a standard way.

OOP doesn't say anything about language, and has no standard way afaik. And
language (and the development system as a whole) _is_ very important. At
least for productivity.

> So the only question left now is what environment you should develop under:
>
>   1. An environment that locks you into a platform?
>   2. An environment that locks you into a language?
>   3. An environment that gives you freedom?
>
> The choice is yours!

Depends on the requirements. Nothing is that black and white.