On Wed, 17 Jan 2007, Tiziano_mk wrote:

> Al Boldi wrote:
> > Tiziano_mk wrote:
> > > I wish to add this missing item that i find more interesting:
> > >
> > > "Maybe you want to use python to control OpenOffice with Free pascal?"
> > > It's possible, just embed FPC with the python "embedded" in OpenOffice.
> > >
> > > During holydays I made successfully this test (on windows) and I am
> > > still investigating on the details.
> > >
> > > Sorry but by now I don't have documentation, work is in progress, if
> > > someone is interested (and this thread shows how few people is
> > > interested in this matter) I can give further details.
> >
> > Can you give further details?
> >

> ok, I try to give a brief overview, here I talk of FPC but read that as
> FPC/Lazarus, please:
>
> look at the Python Documentation: Extending and Embedding
> (http://docs.python.org/ext/ext.html)
>
> This chapter explains the ways to use python with other applications, it is
> C/C++ based but it is simple to translate all that in Pascal.
>
> Here you can see the concepts of Extending python with C/C++/FPC and Embedding
> python in C/C++/FPC.
>
> With this in mind you have not to port Python for Delphi to Lazarus, you can
> simply build a suite of (simple) units that make up the interface with the
> pythonxx.dll or pythonxx.so libraries, and this is possible respecting the
> multiplatform requirements of FPC.
>
> Now, since you can easily launch python scripts or modules from an application
> compiled with FPC it is also possible to bind this application with the
> pythonxx.dll that OpenOffice installs with its binaries. This is an ordinary
> python distribution integrated with modules that interface python with the OO
> APIs.
>
> Now you need to look at PyUno documentation
> (http://udk.openoffice.org/python/python-bridge.html).
> Here you can see how to use Python and the Python-UNO bridge to issue commands
> to OpenOffice.
>
> With FPC you can only excecute the python Uno Bridge outside of the OpenOffice
> process, this is a bit slow, but it is enough to launch from FPC a simple
> helloworld.py that opens an OOWriter document and writes in the document the
> usual "HelloWorld!" string (I tested this on Windows, and I have to test if it
> really works also on Linux).
>
> (note: Issuing commands to OpenOffice can be easily done with Delphi, this is
> explained in the OpenOffice SDK, but it uses the Uno OLE automation bridge.
> Since OLE and COM is not available in other platforms, FPC doesn't support
> them, so, this approach is not available for it)

OLE and COM are supported in FPC, but only on Windows. So in theory you
can automate OOo directly on Windows.

IMHO a OOo interface should use OLE/COM on windows, and any other means
(for example python) on other platforms. Although I think that if python
can call openoffice, FPC should be able to do the same.

Michael.