I'm sorry but it seems the project will be still far from what was declared for a long time. I cannot to achieve suitable work using neither VideoForLinux nor VideoForWindows API
because they are too primitive.
They are not allow to change gain and exposure of webcamera. Without this adjustments
i cannot get reliable LED detection without noise.
VideoForLinux driver is bad twice: it's driver gives sometimes slided image from my Logitech QuickCam.
At the same time this cam works OK via VideoForWindows.
VideoForLinux2 driver doesn't see this cam at whole.
Creative VoiceCam hasn't driver neither for VideoForLinux nor for VideoForLinux2.
So i forced to look for suitible desicion using M$ DirectShow...
Reality brings me back to Windowse...

//aka skywriter