>> check your fpc.cfg to see if it uses $fpcversion macro.
>
> How to know fpc.cfg supports $fpcversion macro?
>
>> so that a compiler version will pick the correct files.
>
> For now, I have to edit manually my fpc.cfg to use wanted version each
> time I need it. It just a few lines anyway. :-D

It's not fpc.cfg that "supports" $fpcversion, it's the compiler that supports
it.
I'll try to explain a bit more.

if you have this in your fpc.cfg
-Fu/usr/local/lib/fpc/2.0.4/units/i386-linux
Then whichever compiler version you use, it will always search for ppus in that
location, and it will fail if it's not 2.0.4.

If, instead, you have something like this
-Fu/usr/local/lib/fpc/$fpcversion/units/$fpctarget
Then the compiler will pick the right version of ppus.
This is because when you invoke the compiler, it reads fpc.cfg and replaces
$fpcversion and $fpctarget with its version and the platform you are compiling
for. This means that you can use a single fpc.cfg for all your installed
compilers.

So, if you are compiling with a 2.2.0 compiler, $fpcversion becomes 2.2.0 and
$fpctarget i386-linux (if you are compiling for i386-linux) so the compiler
will search in
-Fu/usr/local/lib/fpc/2.2.0/units/i386-linux

so when I said "check your fpc.cfg to see if it uses $fpcversion macro.", I
meant "make sure that in fpc.cfg you have $fpcversion instead of a hardcoded
version number in the search path".

> Another question... each time I do 'svn update' and recompile lazarus,
> it uses default widgetset which is gtk1. How do tell 'make' to use gtk2
> instead of gtk1? So, I don't need to do twice compilation, one using
> make, another using Lazarus' build.

make all FPC=fpcyouwanttouse LCL_PLATFORM=platformyouwanttouse
(you can also build LCL platforms later from the command line simply going into
lazarus/lcl directory and typing the command above)

bye
Giulio