On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 17:58:12 +0300
"Vasily I. Volchenko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Vasily I. Volchenko schreef:
> > > And lazarus team is trying to force UTF8 introduction with a
> > > revolution without supporting neither old project nor saving
> > > files (and only saving) in compartible with other projects
> > > format. Besides, that revolutionary process begins when the other
> > > version of the same product doesn't support such utf8. OK, I'll
> > > try to do something...
> > >

> > Fortunately Lazarus is still beta, breaking things can be expected.
> > Other versions of Lazarus (for linux-gtk2, windows-qt) already use
> > UTF8.
> And why using UTF8 internally must means using UTF8 in a saved
> project?

Theoretically it can be in any encoding iff the encoding is saved too.
Without this information the code is useless to all others.
Pascal has no convention about encoding so there are two possible
defaults: Use the system charset or an 8-bit unicode. For Lazarus UTF-8
was chosen.
If you want to extend the IDE to load/save text files in other
encodings you are welcome.

Mattias