 >>> As an alternative approach, I would suggest having a single
 >>> multi-valued attribute that would contain URIs expressing the
 >>> location of the attribute.  This would push various issues, such as
 >>> which location system is being used, out to the URIs.  This is a
 >>> good thing as such issues are not unique to LDAP/X.500.

 >> I've never heard of the geographic coordinates being encoded as an
 >> URI.  Could you please give any references on that matter (if
 >> there're any)?

 > There are examples in the draft the Kurt listed above.  FYI:

 > http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-geopriv-geo-uri-01.txt

        It was noted (e. g., the thread started with [1]) that the goals
        of this scheme are simplicity, interoperability and
        human-readability, hence the choice of a single coordinate
        system (WGS 84) in wide use today.

        However, for the purposes of passing location references in a
        mixed-coordinate system environment (and the geospatial
        applications use a sheer variety of these), the only coordinate
        system is not enough.  Also, while the newer revisions of the
        draft are expected to allow for the spatial uncertainty to be
        specified, this specification is to be made in meters, which
        also has some implications (consider, e. g., [2]; well, to put
        it simple, consider that a temperature in Celsius degrees is
        given an uncertainty value in Fahrenheit; and when it comes to
        the spatial coordinates the issue is even worse.)

        Therefore, while the geo: URI may be taken as the basis, its use
        (in its current form) for geospatial metadata (which is my
        primary interest) doesn't seem feasible.

[1] http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/geopriv/current/msg07711.html
[2] http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/geopriv/current/msg07695.html

--
FSF associate member #7257