-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of John Mulholland
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2005 5:03 AM
To: LDS Open Source Software
Subject: Re: [Ldsoss] New here.

Does anybody know of any counsel given about putting MLS data on
personal computers?  I am not aware of any so I think we need to proceed
with our own judgement based on our understanding of how the system
currently works.  I think that names, phone #, home teaching assignments
are fine.  Transgressions definitely shouldn't be recorded.  And then we
have a huge gray area.  I think that home teaching statistics are fairly
harmless along with attitudes of inactives.  My understanding is that
only MLS is to be used for any financial data, including tithing
status.  Temple recommend status is questionable in my opinion.  I would
be quite embarassed if ward members found out I didn't hold a current
recommend.  Maybe we should judge the security by how many poeple have
access to the data.  All data should be kept current so if an attitude
changes then I don't see a reason to keep the old attitudes recorded.
Remember that I do no speak with authority just experience and some
understanding.  I welcome the suggestions of others.

John

Richard Smith wrote:

>My Branch President has just requested that I put Linux onto an aging
laptop,
>and make MLS available to him on it.  He is trustworthy, and the Lord has
>entrusted him with his calling so I have complete confidence that he will
not
>abuse the data in MLS.  Unfortunately the same cannot be said for other
>members of the Branch Presidency, but the Lord has put them there so I have

>to trust His decisions.
>
>After putting MLS and the data onto his laptop, we need to protect it.  Not

>from him, but from loss or theft of the laptop.  Each one of us knows the
>sensitive nature of the documents stored in MLS.  Here is what I want to do

>with the laptop.
>
>Find some way of password protected encrypting (atrocious grammar, sorry)
the