Pete Whiting wrote:

>Let me know which clients this file works on and which ones it doesn’t. I’m
>particularly interested in the description field. Most clients ignore the html
>formatting and I’m not worried about that * I am interested in missing text.
>The commas and semicolons are escaped * hopefully the clients properly process
>that and show non-escaped commas and semicolons. (See the Feb 2 event, for an
>example.)

Works fine for Apple iCal and I don't see any escaped characters in the
descriptions.

Looking at RFC 2445 it looks like the value type for Description is TEXT
which is defined as:

text = *(TSAFE-CHAR / ":" / DQUOTE / ESCAPED-CHAR)

TSAFE-CHARs (type safe characters) are:

Space 0x20
'!' 0x21
(Skipping double quote)
'#' to '+' 0x23 to 0x2B
(Skipping commas)
'-' to '9' 0x2D to 0x39
(Skipping ':' and ';')
'<' to '[' 0x3C to 0x5B
(Skipping '\')
']' to '~' 0x5D to 0x7E

":" and DQUOTE (double quote) are added.

ESCAPED-CHAR (escaped characters are:

'\' escaped by "\\"
';' escaped by "\;"
',' escaped by "\,"
(new line) escaped by "\n" or "\N"

So it looks like you may need to escape '\' and newlines as well (if
there are any).

-stacey.