On Sat, Jan 14, 2006 at 05:04:39PM -0600, Manfred Riem wrote:

> My personal view on the issues at hand is simple. We have all been
> taught to support our leaders and build up the Kingdom. While at
> times things are not going as fast as we might like them to go I
> have taken a simple view at heart.
>
> 1. If there is something that you think or know is broken report it,
> but give a bit more detail describing how you think the problem
> could be solved. Eg. If you know some functionality is broken
> write up test script that can be followed to reproduce the problem.
>
> 2. If it is more of a feature request like described in the email have
> patience, but don't give up on it. If you think it is taking too
> long just email again. After all we are imperfect humans working
> in an imperfect world striving to be perfect ;)
>
> 3. If you have programming experience stubbing out a runnable prototype
> could prove to be helpful. If you don't have programming experience
> just draw/sketch or describe in detail what you want changed/added.
> After all a picture says more than a thousand words.

I haven't checked my mail from this list in a while, so sorry for the
delay.  I disagree with your points here.

I believe that we should be very forgiving when members make mistakes in
the context of their callings.  After all, we're fallible, sometimes
we're spread thin, and we don't always have great training.

HOWEVER, I think that we are making a profound mistake when we apply
this attitude to employees of the Church (and in this case, development
teams).  When people apply for a job with education and experience
requirements and are trained for that job, they should be held to a much
higher standard.  I know that at BYU they're particularly hesitant to
fire people because of hurt feelings, etc., and I'm told that the
problem also exists for other paid positions in the Church.  I can see
why it's hard to fire people, but I'm frustrated that incompetence is
rewarded as a result (if you can get yourself in, you can stay forever).

My experience using MLS and working with support has led me to believe
that there is some gross incompetence going on somewhere.  I think that
the system is very poorly designed, and easily-reproducible (and
easily-fixable) bugs that I first reported a year and a half ago are
still irritating me.  I don't think any of your suggestions are relevant
for MLS, since even detailed bug reports are completely ignored.

Anyway, I guess my point is that the problem is unfixable and bug
reports are useless.  It sounds really pessimistic, but after almost a
year of optimism, I think it's only realistic.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/