On 6/6/06, Tom Welch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 My thoughts were to create a central repository (whether hosted by the
church or individually would be up for debate) and then we could provide
several ways to access that data.

 1.  We (the community) could provide a SOAP or other interface to the data
so that people could write thick client applications and synchronize their
data with the central repository.  I've actually done this quite
successfully with some other applications and it works VERY well.  So you
can run independent of the server but when you go "back online" you can
"sync" your data.  If a person chose to never "work online" that would work
fine as well.

If you have read my sourceforge project vaporware description that's
exactly the road I was thinking of starting down.  Committee meetings
and scoutmaster conferences are two of the places where the tracking
software would be very helpful, but connectivity likely not available.

I wonder if a "think client" is even necessary.  Could the web
application offer a csv file of data for download that could be edited
with excel or oocalc and then re-uploaded?

Bryan