I don't have a lot of specifics in mind but here are some very general bullet points.
  • Needs to support both scout tracking with an option to add "Duty to God".  I understand that not everyone using this software would be a member but if we make this a "plugin" or option in the preferences to turn it on, that would be cool.
  • Model the software so it could easily be modified to support personal progress.
  • Have an online/offline mode so that people can run it locally but optionally synch up to a master repository.
  • optionally have a web interface to the data.
I'm not a major scouting kind of guy so I'm not that familiar with all of the specifics a scouting program should have.  From a technology perspective, I was thinking that java would be the way to go.  We could use the JPF (Java Plug-in Frameowkr found at http://jpf.sourceforge.net) for an arcitecture to allow us to make this system more modular.  I've not used this framework so it may not be suitable.  For the database, we could use Derby or One$DB.  Again, I'm totally open to other ideas here.

I believe that there needs to be two different discussions.  One from a technology perspective (which platform, technology, DB, etc) and then a "Features" discussion (look & feel, type of information to track, etc).  I'm in the process of setting up a wiki wherein we could all collaborate on these types of documents.  I need another month for this to be complete.

Tom

>>> "Thomas Haws" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 6/20/2006 5:12 PM >>>
I'd like to think a little more about the first draft requirements of the Advancement Tracker Tom Welch asked about.

Suppose one of us or some of us were starting on a shoestring, maybe at the SourceForge site offered.  I am wondering, irrespective of the language, and obviously platform agnosticism is essential, what the inital stab at an open source Advancement tracker might want to look like to the end user.

Should we start with a Troopmaster clone?  Is that what Tom Welch has in mind?

Then should we plan for possible connection/synchronization to a central repository a la MLS?  And multiple languages and advancement programs?

Tom Haws

NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the
intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and
privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email