Wait.  Are you thinking that a flat file approach is a hack (and a
proprietary one at that?)  *And* it's not elegent?

Did I say that?  :-D .  Blame it on my Wikpiedia background, I was "arguing for the enemy", or trying to see the issue from all sides.  I guess that makes it tough to know where I stand.  But getting the right answer is far, far more important than where I happen to stand.

Admittedly, an xml file would not be very readable, but there are other
formats that can be used for this (YAML, JSON come immediately to mind)
that are human readable and easily understood by both a human and a program.

And an individual file would make security very easy to implement--each
user would have their own password which would be used to individually
encrypt the files.

I love it.  Great ideas!!

Tom Haws