Steven H. McCown wrote:
> As Computer Scientists/Engineers, we often 'solve problems' without directly
> meeting or addressing 'user needs'.  Many times, we would rather use a
> scripting or command line language than a GUI with help buttons and
> tutorials.  We solve the problem, but neglect user preferences.  We think
> that users *should* use something like Linux, when they prefer not to switch
> from something familiar like Windows.  We see where they ought to be rather
> than realizing that they simply don't want to change.

Preferences are fleeting.  If you address users' needs with something a
little different from their preferences, and it makes them happy, users
often change their preferences.

However, I agree with your example: users should not be forced to switch
all of their software to a different OS just to run a little
application.  This is not just a preference; it's a ton of work to switch.

Shane