On Wed, 5 Jul 2006, Dallan Quass wrote:

Overall it's a good workshop.  A few people come in from out of town, but I
estimate that 80-90% of the attendees this year came from BYU, the Church,
or Ancestry.  I think it would be _much_ better if there were an effort
driving people to work together on shared efforts.  I've only attended a few
of the workshops, but I'm not aware of a single presentation that has had a
broad impact outside the workshop - that has made the jump from workshop
presentation to website/software feature available to the general public
(except of course presentations from organizations about what they're
already doing).

I've attended the workshop for the last couple of years and for the geek that's interested in genealogy work, im my opinion, it's "the event" of the year. I look forward to it eagerly each year.

But I'll agree with Dallan, in that I'd like to see the scope broadened a bit. Most of the presenters seem to come from the Church or MyFamily.com (that's not a bad thing, there's plenty of "cool stuff" happening in those organizations, but I'd like to see things opened up a bit) As I understand it the original purpose of the workshop was to provide a forum for BYU students doing research in Family History technologies to present their research. I think that's a good goal to continue with, but again, it would be nice to see the workshop expanded a bit (perhaps to two days?) Perhaps we in the community just need to organize an "un-conference" the day before. Gather together a bunch of geeks interested in genealogy for a bunch of hours with free wireless and see what comes out of it.

Just rambling now...

-- Dan