You can't actually get one of the $100 laptops unless you order 1 million.
However, you can download a VMWare image and check out the OS and apps.
Here's a link (for both Linux and Windows):

(http://www.olpcnews.com/software/operating_system/emulating_olpc_sugar.html
)

Their intent was to not emulate the file folder motif or the 'learn
commercial office products' paradigm, so it's a bit different.

When I lived in Chile someone invited me to dinner and was proud to serve me
American Cheese.  I asked them where they got it and they said that the
government (Chilean) was selling it at a good price.  Reading the package, I
read something to the effect of 'Provided by the People of the United
States' and (I quote) "not for sale".  Given that single data point (you'll
probably have others) it will be interesting to see how this laptop is
delivered to the people it's intended to serve.

Anyway, I found it interesting to try out the VMWare image.

Steve

http://www.mccownclan.com <BLOCKED::http://www.mccownclan.com>

 "Chance favours the prepared mind."
     -- Louis Pasteur