Yesterday at 9:55pm, Thomas Haws said:

I'm sure if the church offered to buy a million, OLPC would sell.  Do you
think the LDS Foundation or the church could do that?  They won't be
shipping for another year.

In short, anyone that wants to come up with $100 Million can buy a million little laptops and do whatever they want with them, and distribute them however they want.

Perhaps these laptops would have a use as part of the Perpetual Education Fund program - I'm sure there are people for whom a computer would be a huge educational opportunity that could help break the cycle of poverty. That may be cramped however if these laptops aren't similar enough to "normal" computers, since a significant amount of learning and practice with these wouldn't carry over to the "real world" of computers.

Mac