Since several of you are working on similar tools, let me tell you one of the things I implemented within my program for keeping track of updates. If you don't plan for updates up front, it becomes increasingly more difficult the further along you get into development.

I have an auxiliary file that can be used to store cell phones (associated with the person, not the family), work numbers, etc. I also use it to provide information for non-members not in MLS as well as out-of-unit individuals working in the unit (such as myself). The key is to tie the entries in this file to the entries in MLS. I originally used the membership number, but that causes problems for people who don't have access to the exported CSV files. (My program can be used, for example, by an EQ/RS Pres by saving the MLS reports they have access to.) I am planning on instead using a combination of their name and phone number. I will probably generate a unique number and use that internally within my database structure. As I read entries from MLS, I would do a lookup in the index to find the unique number. If not found, I would create a new entry for the presumably new member.

Most likely I will implement both methods. The membership number already exists, so all I need to do is to implement an alternative indexing method if the CSV files aren't present. (My program will fist try to read the MLS CSV export files. If they aren't found, it tries for MLS report files (using the Shift-Ctrl-C trick), and if all else fails, it will look for web pages saved from the unit web site.)

As I said before, you can download my program and see how it works:
        http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/w/r/wrp103/lds/index.html#mls
and I would be glad to send anyone the C source files if need be.

One of these days, I have to upload all these tools I have to sourceforge. ;^)

---
Bill Pringle
work: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.unisysfsp.com
http://www.unisys.com