John Finlay wrote:
> I know that there are people who have submitted such records, but I don't
> know if it is possible to search for BC dates.

That's a question I forgot to ask... anyone know of a way to search for
BC dates?

> Here is what the official GEDCOM 5.5.1 spec says.
>
> DATE_GREG:= {Size=4:35}
> [ <YEAR_GREG>[B.C.] | <MONTH> <YEAR_GREG> | <DAY> <MONTH> <YEAR_GREG> ]
>
> So just suffix the date with B.C.

If I'm reading that right, then the moment we go into BC, we can no
longer record months or days in BC?

> ...FamilySearch has adopted a new XML standard quite different from GEDCOM
> which allows you to interface with their web service APIs.

Perhaps we're getting somewhere after all then with Geneology and XML.
Where can I read more about this?

>  * Any good Gedcom 6 software out there that some of you recommend?
>
> You can find lots of XML related software by browsing the GenealogyXML
> mailing list archives.  I don't think that anything nears the quality of PAF
> though.
>
> --John

Some new questions for John Finlay or other phpGedView admin:

 * Does phpGedView sort BC dates properly?  I haven't added one yet to
test it...
 * Will pgv use the new xml standard?

Brandon Stout
http://pgv.flfn.org