Did you apply the LRP-specific patches to this kernel tree, especially the
"initrd" patch? From the error you report, it sounds like you didn't.

For a quick runthrough on this patching process, read

        http://lrp.steinkuehler.net/kernel/2.2.16-1/kernel.readme

I haven't seen reports yet of anyone trying the patches with Linux 2.4.x, so
adapting them may well prove to take some work.

If I've guessed wrong and you did apply these patches, then we probably need
much more specific information about what you did than "including loopback,
minix, ramdisk etc". The first three items are understandable, but telling
us you did "etc" isn't sufficiently descriptive to get help. Try sending an
actual .config file, maybe (I'm honestly not sure what information would
best serve our mutual interests in making this work).