I was thinking along similar line, using XML as the configuration
file. The front end (Menu/Script/GUI) can use this XML conf. file to
display & allow for modifications. This also allows an external
generator (script/utility...) to transform this XML file into specific
rules file to be consumed by the router/firewall module. The flexibility
of XML makes sense for this kind of presentation. However, to achieve
the most values that XML brings to the table, it encourages all modules
to have the ability to parse & process XML! This is the problem that
troubles me in using XML. I don't have an answer yet, and would like to
hear others' opinion on this.

          Config Util <----> XML <----> router/firewall modules

   Regards,
   Ly Vuong