On Wed, 24 Jan 2001 22:59:29 George Metz wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Jack Coates wrote:
>
> > Nah, we need an idiot-to-engineer converter more. Something like the
> > Star-On and Star-Off machines in Dr. Seuss' _The Sneetches_, only
> you put
> > in marketing people.
> >
> > Just had someone tell me that his new startup is going to produce 50
> > Terabytes a month of multimedia traffic on the Internet. Yes folks,
> that
> > really is 4,341.76 Mbps.
>
> Yow.
>
> You did, of course, at that point do the correct, ethical, and overly
> honest thing I hope? 'Cause if you didn't neglect to disillusion him
> and
> instead sell him the OC-192, I shall be ever so disappointed in you.
> =)
>
> --
> George Metz
> Commercial Routing Engineer
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

well, I did take the trouble to divide what he said he wanted in half.
He said "we're going to produce 5 to 50 Terabytes a month", and I heard
(45/2)/30/24 = .03125 TBph. Convert to Megabits and you have 262,144
Mbph / 60 = 4,369 Mbps. Hmm, different. I did this the first time on my
Palm and had to do the conversion in order to keep the calculator doing
decimal notation. I think my little Palm convert program is giving me a
wrong number. .03125 TBph should be 031,250 MBph should be 520 MBps
should be 4,166.66 Mbps. Got that number twice so it must be the right
one :-)

Anyway, I didn't say anything, I just let the account manager know that
they were clueless as soon as we hit the parking lot. They were giving
these numbers to our media streaming group anyway. I wish we had a
OC-192 to sell. I could do an OC-48 within a couple of months, but a 192
would mean new fiber. And a few cardiac arrests at our backbone
providers: choose color-by-bandwidth at
http://www.caida.org/tools/visualization/mapnet/Backbones/ and you'll
see an awful lot of DS-3 and OC-3 :-)
--