> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 08:00:28AM -0800, Jack Coates scribbled:
> > Good point -- I personally never try to browse my way to a goal, but
> > rather use the search engine. Don't know if that's common
> or not, but if
> > it's common then we can stick the listing anywhere...
>
> True, but I don't use directories like that very often at all.
> I usually just search altavista or google.
>
> I think that many people must make use of such directories, browsing
> through them, to find what they're looking for; else, why would
> there be _so_many_ such directories?

as an alternative! to those suffering from lack of 'using a search engine
capability'  :D

no, seriously, some times its best to browse through similar items in order
to choose.

when you want something from tucows, imagine you don't know nmap and you
want a net scanner, I would check the network utils category before running
a full blown search on 'network scan software'.