On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Matthew Schalit wrote:

> David,
>
> I had a chance to boot Oxygen for the first time
> the other night, and I like it.  You've done a great job.
>

> A few things came to mind:
>
>  1)  Requirements.  I guess I couldn't find them, but I saw this:
>      Check the requirements: verify you can run Oxygen on your PC.
>      I guess one of the requirements is 32 MB of RAM?  I only have 16.
>      Do I need 2 diskette drives, also?
>

>  2)  Tiny.  I read "F4: What Should I Do Now."  Very useful!  Thanks
>      for making the initial setup user friendly!  But I had a problem
>      because it suggested I load from two diskettes.  I decided on the
>      base and network-tools-1.  But the tiny option, which I figured I
>      needed, said that the second diskette drive would be /dev/fd1.
>      I don't have an fd1.  How do I run tiny with only an fd0?

Have a look at syslinux.cfg and all will become clear... the options
like tiny just choose alternate sections of syslinux configuration. One
of your options is pkgpath, and another is diskwait.

>  3)  132x25 columns, Sweet !
>      Vi emulation in e3, Sweet !
>

>  4)  Setup (y or n).  I was enjoying the 132 columns and the initial
>      configuration messages so much that I was still taking it all in
>      when the boot paused for the 10 second, Do You Want To Setup Now
>      (y or n).  I didn't even get down to reading that and my 10 seconds
>      expired :(   So I missed the setup phase and I became concerned.
>      Luckily reseting the computer caused it to boot in the same fashion
>      and it gave me the setup option again.  Whew.  How about no timeout
>      for the first boot?

agreed -- I keep choosing something that comes up microscopic in VMWare
and then I can't read as quickly.

>  5)  I ended up just hitting return at the boot prompt to use only
>      one floppy because I knew I didn't have enough memory.  So I poked
>      around from that perpective.
>

>  6)  /etc/hosts.  The configure script that runs the first time didn't
>      give me the chance to edit /etc/hosts.  Would you agree that file is
>      significant to the initial setup?

IIRC it's dynamically created by linuxrc, isn't it?

>  7)  acfg usage.  I thought it was very helpful to have the apkg and acfg
>      usage pop up during the boot process and at other various times.
>      I felt that there was an issue with that, though.
>
>      First of all,  being new to Oxygen, I kept getting apkg confused with acfg.
>      It took me awhile to realize that there were two commands.
>
>      Secondly, I realized that I wanted to see apkg usage,  but I kept seeing
>      acfg usage.  I guess I didn't see the logic of seeing the acfg usage right
>      after the message was telling me how I'd want to load and backup packages
>      very soon - acfg can't help that.
>

>  8)  acfg bug.  I got a syntax error in acfg -i, and I guess there's a bug in it.
>      I loaded dialog and libm and then ran acfg -i.  I then chose one menu option,
>      and then another and it erred.  I think it was on the Network menu.
>
>      I can't give more information because I can't boot Oxygen right now.   But what
>      I saw was a quick message about a syntax error in the lower left corner.  That's
>      all I could read, as it disappeared too fast.
>

>  9)  eepro100 module.  I run dual Pro100+'s these days and I wanted to modify the
>      /etc/modules command, eepro100, to read:
>
>              eepro100 debug=2 options=0x40,0x30
>
>      but that module is not loaded from /etc/modules.  Where is it loaded from?
>      What file do I have to edit?

Look under /var ... I don't remember the exact path, but linuxrc loads a
bunch of stuff out of /var/run/lrp/boot/modules or some such. There's a
modules.conf in that area which loads a handful of "normal" NIC modules,
such as:

>  10)  8390.o.    This module was loaded somehow, but it's not needed for the
>       Pro100+'s so I'd like to NAK it.  Where are the default modules loaded from?

The idea is that you put system modules in there so that they're loaded
before the inittab is processed.

> Soooooo.  Other than those cosmetic issues, I think you did a great job.
> Do you feel like it's nearly what you wanted it to be?  It seems like it.

Oxygen is definitely nice -- I haven't messed with the packaging system,
and I have issues with the snarf utility being built into a router, but
as a thin server platform or general butt-kicking "look what I can do
with two floppies" microdistribution it's really good.