Mike Noyes wrote:

> Ewald Wasscher, 2001-05-01 16:11 +0200
>
>> Mike Noyes wrote:
>>
>>> The package tree will mimic the Debian source tree. Diff files
>>> should not  be gziped. Other than that minor change, do what Debian
>>> does.
>>> http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/source/
>>
>> Wouldn't it be a good idea to have a default way of building
>> packages, like Debian? With Debian you can cd into the
>> upacked/patched source directory and do a dpkg-buildpackage -b and
>> voila! a binary package appears after a while. So we could e.g.
>> require that packages have a LEAF.Makefile that automatically
>> configures and builds a package, or a leaf subdirectory like the
>> "debian" subdirectory in Debian. Any comments?
>

> Ewald,
> David proposed something like this already. Take a look at this patch.
>
> Source code + diffs for CVS
> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=412704&group_id=13751 \
> &atid=313751

I like the basic idea a lot. What I don't like is the way the package is configured.
IMHO it will not always be obvious to others how a package was configured and built.
Debian for example has a debian/rules file (which is in fact a makefile) that
describes how to configure, build, install and package a certain application. So what
I propose is the following directory structure:

package/ +
         + lrp/ +
                + rules
                + install
                + package
                + files

To build a package one should:

cd package
lrp/rules configure
lrp/rules build
lrp/rules install (or perhaps the following:)
lrp/rules package

Any comments?

Ewald Wasscher

> He ran into a problem described in the message below.
> http://www.mail-archive.com/leaf-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg01946.html

Maybe the debian/rules files will shed some light on this problem.

> I think this is a great idea, if we can get it to work.

So do I.

Ewald Wasscher