[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On 2 May 2001, at 15:18, Ewald Wasscher wrote:
>
>> I have to agree with that to a great extent. But many programs use a
>> "configure" script to configure the source tree to be built with certain
>> options. I really prefer to have a script in the diff that calls this
>> configure script to doing the configuration by hand and then producing a
>> diff that is used to do that when rebuilding a package..
>

> I hadn't thought this far forward; to date everything I've worked
> with (tftp, lilo, syslinux...) all use GNU make, but don't use GNU
> configure.
>
> I briefly thought about it, but had lots of other things going on.
> With a makefile and a diff, I just added a new makefile in lrp/* to
> be run.  With configure, things would be different....
>
>> If I understand you correctly you put quite a bit of this trickery
>> in the Makefiles etc. of the program itself instead of in a script
>> in this subdir. I may be nitpicking but I find the latter approach
>> "cleaner".
>

> It's not nitpicking exactly; it is basic to how things are done.
>
> Shifting to your model would be simple; the only bit I put into the
> make file of the program itself is the call to make using
> lrp/Makefile.  In fact, if you do this:

Ah, I should have studied your source trees more carefully. **runs away
ashamed**

> cd some-source-tree-3.0
> cd lrp
> make
>
> ...you should get a package if the binaries are already compiled.

That sounds ok to me.

>> OK, I'll take your word  that ash is a bad example. It's nice that
>> Erik's patches convert the makefiles to gnu make, but I doubt that
>> history support is his work as history is already in the debian
>> version of ash; and afaik debian ash is THE port of ash to linux.
>

> You may be right about history; however, Debian ash is not the only
> port of ash to Linux.  Red Hat ported it as well,

Hah, download the RH rawhide src.rpm for ash (version 0.3.7 iirc) and
have a look in the spec file where they fetch the source :-)

> and have numbered
> it at 0.2 for whatever reason.

It's an ancient version. I think it is really ash version 0.2.0

>   I downloaded the RPM to attempt to
> compile it, but never got anywhere with it.

I tried the same... and failed too.

> I wound up using whatever diffs Erik had.

Fair enough. If you could send me the diff that converts the makefile to
gnu-make style I'd be thankful.

Ewald Wasscher