> I've been getting an Oxygen-based booting CDROM ready, but have hit a
> snag, and I don't know how to tackle it.
>
> When the CD boots, it uses a disk image - I'm using a 2.88M floppy
> image.  syslinux comes up, and linux and root.lrp are loaded and run
> fine.
>
> The problem is once /linuxrc takes over, it uses the boot= parameter
> to read the first set of packages.  This should, I would think, refer
> to the 2.88M floppy image in memory; however, how do I refer to this
> image?
>
> /dev/fd0u1680 doesn't work (it's not a 1.68M anyway); /dev/fd0u2880
> doesn't work either - presumably, because both refer to the physical
> disk drive, not an in-memory image.
>
> I know it can be done somehow.... but how?

Actually, AFAIK, it can't be done easily with linux.  Linux (and therefore
the linuxrc script) talks directly to the floppy disk hardware, bypassing
the magic performed by the BIOS to make part of the CD-ROM look like a
standard floppy.  If you write code to access the floppy through the BIOS
(like syslinux), the magic will work, but I doubt you really want to go to
the trouble to do this.

I put the packages on the CD-ROM (the main CD-ROM filesystem, not the boot
floppy image part), and use /dev/hda as the package path.  Note the
'automount' part of linuxrc will find the CD-ROM if there's no floppy in the
drive, and use that as boot by default.

The linuxrc script should probably be changed to automatically find a CD-ROM
drive (ie try mounting /dev/hd? with -t iso9660 until something works) and
make a symlink to /dev/cdrom for CD-ROM booting distributions (another thing
to get to "one-of-these-days").

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net