At 2002-02-07 09:47 -0600, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
> > Would someone with some EE background look at the pdf below, and
> > explain to me in layman terms if it's possible to use WP# pin 30 on
> > standard motherboards.
> >
> > http://www.ssti.com/products/pdf/519-58SM-LM8-192-01.000-DS.pdf
>
>The simple answer: No

Charles,
Thanks for looking at this. Every time I think we have a write protect
solution, it doesn't pan out. :-(

>More detailed explination:
>Pin 30 is defined as a ground pin by the ATA specifications
>(http://www.t13.org/), so conforming motherboards and controllers do
>*not* have a means to toggle this pin high or low.  If you jumpered
>pins 2-3 on the WP# jumper, the disk would *always* be write
>protected when using a standard IDE controller.  The use of pin 30 of
>the IDE interface cable is apparently for those users who are
>designing their own embedded systems.

In other words, you need a custom motherboard/ata controller, to support
WP# pin 30.

>I would suggest folks wanting to make use of this new ATA flash disk
>with write-enable wire a switch between pins one and two of the WP#
>jumper on the disk module (perhaps using an old "turbo" switch, if
>you're lucky enough to have one available on your case of choice).

This is the solution I was hoping for, but it looks like the ADM on board
three pin jumper is for master/slave selection not WP#. :-(

--
Mike Noyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://sourceforge.net/users/mhnoyes/