At 2002-02-07 17:20 +0100, arne @ loopback . org wrote:
>On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 08:06:47AM -0800, Mike Noyes wrote:
>
> > In other words, you need a custom motherboard/ata controller, to
> > support WP# pin 30.
> >
> > >I would suggest folks wanting to make use of this new ATA flash
> > >disk with write-enable wire a switch between pins one and two of
> > >the WP# jumper on the disk module (perhaps using an old "turbo"
> > >switch, if you're lucky enough to have one available on your case
> > >of choice).
> >
> > This is the solution I was hoping for, but it looks like the ADM on
> > board three pin jumper is for master/slave selection not WP#. :-(
>
>but shouldn't it be possible to build an adapter that is between the
>motherboard and the ata disk that changes just this behaviour and
>loops all other pins through ?? These Flashdisks are normally just
>plugged into the motherboard, right ? its not the best solution, but
>i never saw anything that directly had this switch on the disk :(

Arne,
I don't think so, if I'm reading the quote below correctly.

http://www.chipcenter.com/memory/mdp/webscan/mn013/mn013401.htm
~ SST's ADM products are the only embedded mass data storage solution
~ of this type that contain an integrated Write Protect (WP#) Pin,
~ which is not normally found in an IDE connector. Therefore,
~ customers that do their own IDE interface can take advantage of the
~ WP# Pin feature.

--
Mike Noyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://sourceforge.net/users/mhnoyes/