> So the choices I'm looking at for my next Linux install (now that my
> Mandrake 8 boxen are getting out of date) are:
>
> LFS: appealing idea, but doesn't fix upgrading issues.
> Gentoo: leading the pack because they've brought ports to Linux.
> Sorcerer: very nifty, but showing a lot of rough edges.
>
> You'll note all three of these compile on your box instead of installing
> binaries.
>
> But now, you're discussing doing something like this for LEAF. I do not
> like the idea of LEAF having its own development environment at all. As
> it stands currently, most default LEAF installs could be hooked up to
> the Internet with telnet wide open and no root password without causing
> a lot of damage -- the only really hazardous tool in there is ping, and
> the SSH packages don't include scp. There's no lrzsz or uuencode or nc,
> so uploading all those evil packages you've made is very difficult, and
> there's no compiler or headers so uploading source and compiling it is
> impossible. All that changes if the bad guy can merely cd
> /usr/src/ports/net/ettercap.
>
> For a server appliance it makes more sense than for a router. But I'm
> really starting to lean away from the idea of using LEAF in its current
> form as an appliance. Doing so makes sense with special-purpose hardware
> designed not to have a hard disk, and LEAF compares nicely with Midori
> for this purpose. But on a PC or server, running an application from
> RAMdisk doesn't make sense to me.

I absolutely agree, but I think you're missing the point regarding how I'd
like to use the Gentoo portage system (or something similar).

I am mainly looking for a way to co-opt a configuration/compiling
environment to make it easy for developers to build and maintain packages.
I currently have NO INTENTIONS of trying to turn a LEAF system into a
self-hosting compile environment (and AFAIK, no one else has suggested it
either).  My goal is to try to take something like portage, which
(hopefully) allows the specification of a variety of compile-time
configuration options (like processor type, library support, &c) to
appropritely compile applications for inclusion on a LEAF based system,
while (again hopefully) leveraging a larger community for maintainence and
upgrades.

Again, please don't think I'm advocating a compile enviornment anywhere
*NEAR* an actual LEAF appliance.  I'm simply looking for ways to make
building a compile environment easier and less intrusive, while hopefully
benifiting from work others are doing, rather than re-inventing the wheel.

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net