At 2002-02-08 00:43 -0600, David Douthitt wrote:

>So.... how important is setting the time/date with date?  Is rdate
>(or ntpclient) enough?

David,
I think it's important to have the correct date. My ISP NOC wont accept
abuse reports without valid time stamps in syslog.

I use rdate on my current floppy to set the time on boot. rdate connects a
server on my lan, and my server connects to a timeserver on the Internet
with xntpd. I use this setup for two reasons. One, I feel it's more secure
than having the router/firewall accessing a time server on the Internet.
Two, rdate connections are refused by most timeservers on the Internet.

--
Mike Noyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://sourceforge.net/users/mhnoyes/