David Douthitt, 2002-02-09 01:41 -0600
>On 2/8/02 at 5:23 AM, Mike Noyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
> > I use rdate on my current floppy to set the time on boot.
> > rdate connects a server on my lan, and my server connects
> > to a timeserver on the Internet with xntpd. I use this
> > setup for two reasons. One, I feel it's more secure than
> > having the router/firewall accessing a time server on the
> > Internet. Two, rdate connections are refused by most
> > timeservers on the Internet.
>
>WIth rdate, I'd say that's the way to go.... for all the reasons you
>mentioned.  So - can you do without "date -s" ?

David,
I think so. If I remember correctly all I used was hwclock and rdate. I had
to modify a couple of scripts, because hwclock was pulling date from the
bios. I believe I added rdate to the script and told hwclock to use systohc
instead of hctosys. I may have done something with TZ files, but I don't
think I used date for anything.

I use UTC/GMT for my router, because I think it's harder to track abuse
across disparate systems that use local TZ. Is this reasoning sound?

--
Mike Noyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://sourceforge.net/users/mhnoyes/