I came across some rather quaint findings when experimenting with the
hardware today.

information
-----------
I began by formating and syslinux'ing the 16MB compactflash card. I
then proceeded to try and boot from it. Yesterday Mike and I drew
that conclusion that that would work with my hardware...FAILURE. At
this point I was disheartened, and tried to boot with both the 16MB
and 8MB card in at the same time, which led me to realize something
all together un-documented . . . the flash cards are identified as
true IDE only on the outer pcmcia slot. Aha!

And so, I proceeded to boot from the 16MB card. hdk on ide5 was
identified. Victory, or so I thought. I rdev'ed the kernel, changed
the syslinux.cfg, and added hdk and hdk1-4 to the
/var/lib/lrpkg/root.mount file (right after fd0). What then happened
was distrubing. Here is the screen dump:

hdk: Hitachi CV 7.1.1, ATA Disk drive
hdk: IRQ probe failed (0)
ide5 at 0x160-0x167, 0x366 on irq 12
hdk: Hitachi CV 7.1.1, 15MB w/ 1kB Cache, CHS 246/4/32

I'm not quite sure what sort of success this means. On to the
partition check...

Partition Check:
hdk: hdk: lost interrupt
hdk: lost interrupt
hdk: lost interrupt
hdk: lost interrupt
hdk1

OK, so it found the partition. Took it some time, but it found it.

VFS: Mounted root (minix filesystem).
RAMDISK: extracting root archive: done.
LINUXRC: Linux Router Project - Root v3.1.0
end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00 (floppy), sector 0
end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00 (floppy), sector 0
end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00 (floppy), sector 0
FAT bread failed

DAMNIT. Same error. At this point, I took the 16MB compactflash out
from its pcmcia adapter and tested it on an ide adapter, with
syslinux.cfg and rdev pointing to hda. It booted. There were no
end_request errors. hda worked. That made the ide appear as

ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7, 0x3f6 on irq 14

I forgot to copy down the whole thing, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't
irq error'ing out. I then rebooted on the ide'd compact flash, this
time with the 8MB card on the outer pcmcia slot. I got into the box,
and trying to mount hdk, it gave an almost enless amount of 'hdk:
lost interrupt' before working. I could 'ls', but 'ae syslinux.cfg'
took too long for me to bother.

Conclusions
-----------
The bios complication of <15 being A: and >15 being C: seems to be
nonexistant. The problem was the top and bottom slot.

The compact flash boots fine on ide as hda. LRP does not seem to find
it on hdk.

Questions
---------

How do I get past the end_request errors being produced for the
flash, which seems to be looking for a (nonexistant) floppy?

The 'lost interrupt' repeats seem to be caused by some sort of
slowness on the pcmcia bus and/or an irq problem. How can this be
addressed?

thanks to everyone out there, especially mike and charles,
/johan
---
   name:   Johan Ugander
   school: AEDT2002