It might not be the Canadian side of the law preventing or excluding the
contributions of US citizens, it may be the US Export Laws.  If I recall
correctly, exporting high cryptographic material outside of the US is
illegal as they are considered munitions.
 That would preclude any US Citizen (or other legal resident) from
contributing to any project outside of the US that deals with encryption
of a certain magnitude.

 I also recall that the laws just changed and it was unclear what, if any
contributions, US Citizens could make to the code.  FreeSwan archives
and/or any other IPSec list to see specifics.

As usual, I am NOT a lawyer, nor do I pretend to be one during the day. ;)

--Pat