On 2/14/02 at 4:45 PM, Serge Caron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I don't see why an open source project based in Canada
> would not be able to accept contributions from the US or
> anywhere else. Theo de Raadt has a lot of success with
> OpenBSD, distributed from Calgary, Canada. Here is some dope
> on the Canadian Export Control List

It's not Canada that's the trouble; it's U.S. export laws.  If you
read documentation on OpenBSD crypto long enough, you'll see a U.S.
code submitter listed somewhere - and a VERY clear explanation that
this individual submitted NO CRYPTO CODE at all...

U.S. Export laws were part of the reason OpenBSD was started in Canada
instead of the U.S.

Theo has to be very careful and for the most part can't accept (or at
one time, he couldn't) any crypto code from a U.S. submitter.
--
David Douthitt
UNIX Systems Administrator