Hello SImon, Kim and others on this thread.
First of all sorry for the late response of the "bering crew". Jacques is out of town
for the
rest of this week, and I just ended a 24 Hr shift , so i wasn't able to read the mails.

To answer a few questions.
The lrpkg.back.script is name dependent.
With the   usual *.list etc is a include and exclude file list created.
Before the create and compress the tar file command is executed, there is a statement
like
If the name is initrd. then gzip the image and write it to initrd.lrp
otherwise create a tar file and gzip it.
I planned a "rewrite of the script"  but jacques and I agreed that it wouldn't be good
make a  complete change on a 3. release candidate
(this will be something for 1.1 :) )

I don't see a problem for a larger initial ramdisk, but this is more Jacques "area" ;)

I will be away for a vacation also, so please excuse If you don't get an immediate
answer.

Greetings
 Eric Wolzak

member of the Bering team