On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 08:42:07AM +0200, Jacques Nilo wrote:
>Georges:
>If you do not feel confortable using Bering, please do not use it.
>Bering has been developped by me and Eric as a hobby, on our spare time &
>outside of our regular jobs.

I do feel it is an innovative quality project.  Please don't take my
criticism personally. I really intended my remarks as constructive
criticism. I don't want this thread to get out of hand so I'll refrain
from adding details and focus on being as constructive as I can.

What invoked my letter was realization that I needed to script a package
extractor/compressor and that many of the hurdles I have overcome would
have been much easier if the distro (and I should speak only of Bering,
because I need the 2.4 kernel, and it's the only leaf I've used.) was
presented differently. For example, as a tgz that extracts into an
expanded root filesystem (or root file system for each package; not
sure which would work) and scripts to make the packages and make a
floppy image with a new timestamp. This would afford quick maintenance and
modifications in a full environment. I will likely put this together
from scratch if none of the components already exist to do this.

(BTW - I am very pro opensource/GNU and don't feel the need to keep
under wraps any of my work, accept that which might be a direct conflict
of interest with my employer. I can't imagine being involved with any
software-for-sale project, either.  I didn't mean, "I'm here to enforce
GNU" as much as I meant, "This GPL project seems different then other
GPL projects I've worked on, it's difficult to customize the package.)

>A lot of a effort has been put in the doc: see the installation & user's
>guide. Most of technical related questions are answered (if time permits)
>with the help of the LEAF community through the mailing list. A developer's
>manual is on my todo list but it also a fact that people are  for some
>strange reason always quicker to criticize that to help writing up a chapter
>of the user's guide ...

I'm sorry. I know this is true. Maybe I can contribute some doc at some
point in the near future. I have picked up and set down some version of
LRP several times in the last ~18 months, always with the feeling of
being overwhelmed with links to sites of documentation which ultimately
didn't answer my question. It was your guide Jacques, that has been
the most helpful. I didn't mean to make any point regarding doc beyond
that a 100 line quick start would be really helpful: some definitions,
anomalies, intro to package format and image manipulation -- just the
sundry facts, what to do without the details of how it's done. I would
provide it today if I could, but maybe in a few weeks :)

I will try to fully address everyone else's opinions of my post soon;
but after reading them I would like to briefly say, 1) criticism
(and not necessarily constructive criticism) is an important aspect
of opensource development and peer review, and does not necessarily
correlate with gratitude. And 2) I see personal attacks in public forum
shortsighted and hypocritical.

Bon Bastille Day! (my French is almost nonexistent but for those
celebrating, I wish you a joyous independence)

Regards,
// George

--
GEORGE GEORGALIS, System Admin/Architect    cell: 347-451-8229
Security Services, Web, Mail,            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]