On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 12:31:22PM -0500, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

> Also...I recently got a nifty trick from the local linux users group
> regarding time-servers:
>
> <quote>
> > Does someone knows of a time server that I can use to
> > synchronize my linux box at boot time?
>
> There are a bunch listed at www.ntp.org, a.k.a. www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp.
> A possibly better alternative is to use your provider - most ISPs enable
> NTP on their routers.  This is convenient for them, since they can
> correlate router log messages accurately.  It's convenient for you,
> since
> you have a low-latency time source just a few milliseconds away.
>
> Tru running "ntpdate -q" against a traceroute output, e.g.
>
>   traceroute -n www.cnn.com | head -5 | awk '{print $2}' | \
>     xargs -n 1 ntpdate -q
>
> You'll usually find an NTP server close by.
> </quote>

That's interesting!

However, the NTP documentation stresses the need to get permission
first - and all of the docs list whether permission is required or not.
It's unfortunate that people don't see a need for a PUBLIC ntp server
instead of one just shared by the community; many have a geographical
restriction on them, many require you to send mail.

I managed to find a source close by: the CompSci department at the
University of Wisconsin has not only three severs providing NTP,
but a Red Hat mirror, a Mandrake mirror, a OpenBSD mirror, a Debian mirror,
a Sendmail mirror, a Linux kernel mirror, a Ximian mirror, a LDP mirror...