On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 09:06:18PM -0700, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Eric B Kiser wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > The best reference for load balancing is Jack Coates site. He does a great
> > job of summing up the major concerns with load balancing and offering
> > suggestions on how to make it work. There is some great information there
> > and it is a quick read. Here is the link...
> >
> > http://www.leaf-project.org/pub/doc/howto/LRP-Load-Balancing-HOWTO.html
> >
> > Hope this helps.
>
> Don't forget the SysAdmin article on redundant connections in the January
> 2002 issue of SysAdmin magazine, Charles.

FYI:

http://www.samag.com/documents/s=1824/sam0201h/0201h.htm

I'm developing an interest in this type of scenario. How (much more)
complicated does it get if you want to have a DMZ in there as well?

And:

AFAICT from the article, there is little difference in *where* the
uplinks connect to? Or to be a little more specific:

Scenario:
A private (residential) LAN/DMZ is connected via DSL. The capacity of
the DSL-line is getting close to saturation. The line has already been
'turned up' to the maximum available bandwidth (let's say 2Mbit).

Instead of switching to a different type of uplink that supports higher
bandwidth, but is also
1: expensive to get installed
2: expensive to rent
it would be nice to just get a second DSL-line (possibly from the same
ISP) and bundle the two.

This would make no difference to the router, would it?

At this point I'm just being curious, so this is basically smalltalk,
but a very interesting topic at that...

Thoughts?

Jon Clausen