Hello Lynn, Charles , List
> On Saturday 31 August 2002 14:21, Eric Wolzak wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I agree with Erich that it would be wise to get an architecture
> > before thinking about the implementation.
> > IMHO it should be :
> > -easy to configure.
> > -flexible , so adding new packages is possible without much
> > programming.
> > -flexible 2- so it is possible to use the same system on oxygen,
> > bering ,dachstein, Wisp  by merely changeing the Tools configuration
> > file.
> > -useable also on "slow" systems.
>
> Agreed, in all likely regards, we are integrating/replacing lrcfg with
> this project. A good idea would be to consider 'apkg' as well, since
> it includes some advanced features that are lacking with 'lrcfg'.
>
> Considering (and examining) Forth, this will possibly end up in a
> totally new base system that may or may not be integrated with
> existing variants and should be considered. A new boot-method
> and required packaging/configuration compatibility are my reasoning
> behind this statement. This project will end up with a required baseline
> for compatibility.
>
> In examination of possible Forth implementations, eForth and kForth
> (18K download) seemed good possibilities. The User's guide for
> kForth seems pretty easy to interpret.
>
> http://ccreweb.org/software/kforth/kforth0.html
>

> > The Idea behind this is that as soon as the external Parser is
> > written, it can create any HTML.template , parsing rules or config
> > template just by creating a modules or package config file.
>
> Thanks for making the flow-charts!
> The second jpeg is pretty much what I have had in mind.
> I don't see a distint reason for using uncgi, particularly with
> POST data, many people on the list  also have ~10 line GET
> parsers as well. Personally, I see a more secure method by
> using the CGI to simply "set the environment" and call the
> applicable "executable" to do the actual work, so ineffect
> the CGI/www-server is the parser and doesn't do the work.
> The "executable", run under a SUID, can be done in any
> language that can be interpreted. Does anyone see any
> problems with this method?

I agree with you I didn't mean the Programm uncgi but rather some engine creating
variables from the cgi statement.

> > The Modules Config file  (which could also be a database can be
> > different formats:
> > 1. xml  in that case the template, parsing rules and config template
> > can be generated by merely applying a xsl stylesheet.
> <snip>
> > I think I prefer the first option (xml).
>
> I would prefer this method as well. I have only one question,
> will the XML need an interpreter on the www-server?
No  it is not even available on the router as the xml files are only used to generate
the
"parsing rules", "html template" and "config template".
I just have to be more precise with describeing ; )

(

> Thoughts???
> --
>
> ~Lynn Avants