> Readability is a question of coding style. In any language you can
> write code that is not easy to understand.

<snip>

> but the latter is more easily to understand.
> It is also a question of experience with the language.
> My boss is a experienced C programmer on DOS and embedded systems.
> But when he sees a script line like this
>
> [ "$DEBUG" ] && echo `basename "$file"`
>
> he asks me: What the hell are you doing here?

Exactly...familiar languages look "normal", and unfamiliar ones look
"wierd".  I can usually pick up a new computer language in about 1-2
weeks (to the point I'm "writing code" rather than crawling through
reference manuals checking on syntax :), and be coding very well in 3-4.
I really don't care which language gets picked, but it should be
selected on it's merits for the task at hand.  I think part of the
problem is I have different tasks in mind than several other folks...

> If someone wants to play around with perl4, I can make the lrp
> publicly available. It passes the tests in the makefile and I
> tested the server example of the manpage on a bering system.

Please make your perl4 package available.  At the very least, that's the
lightest perl implementation I've heard of for LRP, and I'm sure someone
will find it useful.

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net