On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 18:57:24 -0600
"Lynn Avants" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> One of these???
> name = value
> name  value
> name:value
> name.value
> name = value #descript

I realize of course that I am quite late to this discussion, and oddly
more vocal lately than I have been, but it only comes from having done
it recently and experienced some of the pitfalls already.

May I suggest that the config-db be maintained as a "config-tree," with
the root at /leaf-cdb (or something shallow like that) and keys may be
nested as deeply as needed by creating directory levels.  I.e. you could
make the key

interfaces/eth0/ipaddr

like this:

echo -n "172.24.8.24" > /leaf-cdb/interfaces/eth0/ipaddr

This allows a myriad of strategies to be used (by the api) for delivery
of complex data that is quite difficult to represent in (and parse from)
a single flat file.  "Parsing" becomes basically nil if the api is
written well (I am thinking a handful of leaf-cdb-* shell scripts).

It also allows packages to "drop" in default values, and even back them
up to their own package, if needed, rather than having them swallowed up
by some other global package.

Feel free to discard.

Chad Carr                                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]