I thought I should add a couple of comments. There's a lot of this
discussion that's basically way beyond me, but welll... :)

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 06:57:24PM -0600, Lynn Avants wrote:
> The biggest problem IMHO with a flat-db would be the ability to
> hand-edit the file(s). If no comments or description fields are used
> it will require a user to locate the variable(s) in the package conf
> file(s), then edit them in the 'db' file.

I may be wrong, but I don't see any reason why comments would be banned
from the flat-db files. I mean it's not that much code needed to
recognize a "#" at the beginning of a line...?

So as long as we don't complicate matters by allowing in-line comments,
it should be fine?

---

I like Chad's directory structure idea

---

And finally;

Given a template system, in which the actual config files are built
by reading values from some sort of db and merging those with template
data, consider this:

Would it make sense to have some sort of 'repeatable section' mechanism?

The example I'm thinking of is the interfaces section of dachsteins
network.conf, in which there could be *some* variation in the number of
instances, between individual LEAF boxes...

Could be accomplished by use of <tag></tag> pairs...

Just 0.02 $CURRENCY

regards,
Jon Clausen