Hi,
I compiled my own kernel based on 2.4.21 sources, patched as described
in developer guide from J. Nilo located here:

http://leaf.sourceforge.net/article.php?sid=62

I patched kernel sources with appropriated patches -grzsec, freeswan
etc.
I compiled bzImage and modules successfully.

Then I tried compress bzImage by UPX utility, but even if I compile with
i386 support UPS utility returned error that file is not for i386
platform and therefore canot be compressed. In current stable UPS
release switch -f (force compresion) doesn§t work so I used beta version
1.90 where force switch is active. So I created compressed linux kernel.

Then I replaced modules in modules.lrp bz theirs new version, replaces
linux kernel file in root and removed modules from initrd package - I do
not need to insert modules at boot even I use HDD - because I compiled
IDE support directly into kernel. Then I booted from floppy with freedos
and syslinux and run syslinux C: command to make disk bootable for new
kernel.

Then I've tried to boot from IDE HDD. When initrd is unpacking system is
rebooted with no error message.

What I did wrong? What I should do to boot new kernel version? Is there
something special in initrd except modules which I deleted? Can I use
non compresed version of bzImage - not to use upx if I have a lot of
space on my hdd?

Thanks for help.

Regards
Litin