Hi,

Response inline.

Gerry Weaver wrote about "Re: [leaf-devel] Re: WISP-Dist repositry & build
environment":

> I'm making some progress on the IOS like interface. I should have
something

> to share in a few weeks. I've tried to break the design up into components

 > Regarding IOS-like shell, can you share your ideas on how you are

 > going to implement configuration translation into Linux commands?

I've been concentrating on the command shell front end and the framework to
dynamically load command sets so far. I haven't done all of the research
necessary to give you a definitive answer on implementation of the backend
yet, but I can tell you what I have in mind. I would like avoid using any
command line commands if at all possible. For example, I've done a some
looking at the library that is built by the wireless tools. In other cases I
think I would look at using the /proc tree in conjunction with the
corresponding config file updates.

 > Would it be a real-time module to apply the changes, or commands

 > will be translated into standard configuration files and applied

 > on restart of the subsystems?

I would like to avoid a reboot if at all possible. I haven't looked at all
of the config items yet to see if this is possible. The idea would be to
allow config changes to take effect immediately (no reboot). The user would
need to save/write the config to make them permanent. If it turns out the
there are items that cannot be changed without a reboot then they would be
specifically labeled as such. I'm somewhat new to Linux development and thus
the /proc interface (my experience is on AIX, HPUX, and Solaris).

If you have any requirements or suggestions feel free to let me know.