At 06:58 PM 7/2/2004 -0700, Tom Eastep wrote:
[...]
If we would just admit that .lrp files are nothing more than stylized gzip-compressed tar files and change their extension to .tgz, we wouldn't have this problem.

If you are referring to the text/binary problem I raised, this is not true. It applies to any idiosyncratic extension, since most Web servers treat unknown extensions as type text.

My point is that under the covers, a .lrp archive is really a .tgz and that the .tgz extension is orders of magnitude more common than .lrp. So by switching the extension from .lrp to .tgz, you reduce the problem by a similar order of magnitude. Out of the box, Apache is configured with .tgz as a known extension -- not so with .lrp.

I understood that the first time, Tom. I'm trying to say that I disagree with it.

The .lrp extension isn't the problem. It requires only a 1-line addition to an Apache config file. No big deal to do, and we get the same "order of magnitude" improvement. LEAF uses the .lrp extension a lot, and has for a long time, so it's worth making a modest effort to let it work for downloads ... that's a lot less work than rewriting the package installer, I'd think. And we seem to have done so; I never have a problem with an .lrp package from LEAF.

The problem arises when various LEAF developers individually coin their own idiosyncratic extensions and, since they do their downloads using Linux, don't notice that they've made life hard for Windows users (except the ones who use IE, of course).

Note that in my prior message, I listed an enormous number of oddball extensions that Sourceforge gets right, and only one -- .iso -- that it (or possibly a non-Sourceforge site that we're linking to; it was hard to tell) handled wrong.

Since .iso is a meaningful extension to the Linux (and I think to the Windows) community, we shouldn't deal with this problem by (for example) forcing all .iso files to be renamed .iso.bin. We should fix the problem on the server.