Hi Erich,

I believe the Linksys firmware source kit is all you need. It is Open Source, not available for all Linksys systems but for most current ones. I know the sveasoft firmware is close eough to a standard linux to support the firewall builder scripts. I guess shorewall would be fairly easy to port. The current kernel is according to the makefile a 2.4.20, the Busybox version is 0.60.0 according to the Changelog. It uses uClibc so I guess changing/adding functionality should not be that hard. The code for the broadcom wireless stuff is object-only though.
Thanks for the info - that surely sounds promising. I've also had a look at the openWRT project, and while I'm by no means a firmware coder, it looks like it should be possible to at least get linux running on such a thing (and then decide if porting LEAF to it would be feasible).

So, I guess I'll order one of these boxes (heck, one box costs less than the miniPCI WLan cards I use...) and go from there.

Some source code leaves doubt on its adherence to the OpenSource license. (...)
That indeed looks troubling. I'm hoping that the openWRT project is more respectful to licenses...

Martin