Jorn Eriksen wrote:
Investigatet that a little bit.  Altough it's a good idea it would require
different versions for different OS/*nix variants and as much explanations
as a simple image.  With my limited knowlegde of this type of script, the
saving would be in the "creation" process and not neccecarily on the "user"
end. There I could see a few other issues.  With a "clean" image it could,
and in fact have been on most of my sticks, as simle as "dd
if=image_file.img of=/dev/sda".  I guess it could not be any simpler than
that :-)  Maybe you have some deeper knowlege that can enlighten me more?

I was thinking of having a single script, with files contained in it in the shar format, and then unshar the files and copy to disk. You could even - possibly - unshar a file then use it as an executable (such as syslinux).

If you used dd, then the disk would have to be at least a particular size, and any larger size disk would waste a lot of space.