On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 07:55, David Douthitt wrote:
> Martin Hejl wrote:
> > Hm - I'm not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean that if you hit reply
> > to a mail on the list (instead of "reply all") it will only go to the
> > person who wrote the mail, instead of the list? If that's the case, and
> > you really care to know the gory details, it's something that's part of
> > the configuration of all our lists (and it's a good thing
>
> ...well that's debatable ;-)

David,
Very, and it usually ends in a flame war. :-(

> I noticed that, while Sourceforge does this as a matter of course,
> Yahoo! does not....

SF isn't the one responsible for this behavior. Mailman defaults this
way, and SF is following the Mailman recommended setting.

The Mailman Cabal follow RFC's when possible. Munging email header
fields isn't recommended for a variety of reasons.

        Does Yahoo implement list headers?
        http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2369.txt

The preferred solution is mail user agent (MUA) support for
reply-to-list. I note you're using Thunderbird. Unfortunately, that MUA
doesn't support reply-to-list at this time.

        Note: there is a mailman patch from Marc Merlin that makes list
        reply to munging user configurable. I'm not sure if it made it
        into the 2.1.x releases.

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-developers/2002-March/011104.html

> For whoever cares about such things...

Lots of people do, and it's debated often. :-(

https://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=6695&group_id=1#reply_to_munging
        Reply-To Munging Considered Harmful
        Reply-To Munging Considered Useful
        List Reply-To considered harmful, by Marc Merlin (former
        postmaster for SourceForge.net)

SF.net Projects: leaf, phpwebsite, phpwebsite-comm, sitedocs