On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 16:02, Tom Eastep wrote:
<snip>
> Activity on the mailing lists and IRC channel has been steadily declining
> for the last couple of years. This signals to me that the rate at which
> people are adopting Shorewall is waning (I grant that the documentation has
> gotten better over the years which helps lower the noise level somewhat).
> While I've never had any ambitions toward dominating the OSS firewall
> market, Shorewall takes a lot of work so I would prefer to spend my effort
> on something that people want to use. Maybe it is still Shorewall -- maybe
> it is something else.

Tom,
I just did a few Google searches, and I now think it's something else.
Shorewall is included in most distributions (Debian, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE,
Gentoo, etc.), and the website is mirrored in multiple locations. It
looks like people are asking for assistance in a variety of places.
Shorewall support looks distributed and successful.

        Example:
        http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Shorewall_Firewall_IPsec_VPN_and_2.6_kernel
        http://gentoo-wiki.com/SECURITY_Howto_setup_a_firewall_with_shorewall

I'd worry when distributions start dropping Shorewall. That's an
indication of decline.

SF.net Projects: leaf, sitedocs