Tom Eastep wrote:
> Natanael Copa wrote:
>
>> Have you thought of lua? should give you better performance than perl
>> and would still be small enough for embedded. I can't say I have been
>> looking at the shorewall code, but lua is very table oriented, which
>> might be good for your table based config files.
>
> I suspect that the parser part of Shorewall might be difficult to write
> entirely in LUA (although I've only browsed the reference manual). Also, LUA
> appears to be a language that may only be embedded in C -- it does not stand
> on its own. So what you end up with is a C program that uses a "smart
> library".

Tom,

Since I was mentioned in this thread already, I'll give my $0.02.  Feel
free to send to /dev/null

A) The Lua manual is really bad.  LuaForge is a mess.  I really needed
Programming in Lua to make sense of the language (Ver 1 is online
http://www.lua.org/pil/  Version 2 is only available in dead-tree format
and was worth the cost.

B) The Lua parser is surprisingly good for regex type stuff.  Its just
/different/ from the other "standard" regexes.

C) You are right about Lua wanting to be embedded in C (or some other
language) - imagine however, a tiny "C" wrapper that forked
iptables-restore[1] once and then used a lua parser to send all the data
to that one process instead of forking iptables 1000's of times.  The C
code would be minimal, just enough to instantiate a Lua VM.

D) Shorewall is YOUR fun project... so none of the above need apply. ;-)

[1] - Believe it or not,
http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/FAQ/netfilter-faq-4.html#ss4.5
says this is the "official" way to program iptables without using
system() calls.